28 May Rent the Runway
by Contributor Liz DelaNuez
A few years ago I had my twenty year high school reunion. Twenty years. I was so excited to see the old gang (no pun intended) and reminisce on our high school days and adventures. Then I realized…I had nothing to wear. I’m not going to lie, I wanted a show stopper, chic, expensive dress that screamed “look at me now”, but I was a stay at home mom with no income so my options were fairly limited. I was in no position to pay a few hundred dollars for a dress I was going to probably only wear once. Being the designer groupie that I am, I was salivating after a Herve Leger dress, no doubt due to my then obsession with the Kardashians. Then I remembered about a little online gem that I had always read about, but had never tried.
I logged onto www.rentherunway.com and began scouring all their hundreds of amazing designer dresses. I spent several days rummaging through all of their styles, reading reviews and comparing prices. In the end, I decided on a red-hot Herve Leger dress (of course) appropriately named “If Looks Could Kill”. I reserved the 4-day rental $1200 retail dress for a mere $60.00! Rent the Runway sent me the same dress in two sizes in case I was in between sizes. The minute that I tried it on I knew it was meant to be. It was comfortable, sexy and fit like a glove!
I felt confident, beautiful and ready to party. It was a fun dress to wear on such a special night. I got several compliments throughout the night and had an amazing experience with RTR. Since then, I have used the service a couple more times and have had amazing experiences each time. I always search carefully for dresses that will complement my body type and read all the reviews. It also helps that RTR gives you a credit if a dress that you order doesn’t fit or if you are dissatisfied with your purchase. If you have a special night coming up (birthday, special date, girls night out, bachelorette party, wedding, graduation etc.) then I hope that you will consider letting RTR make you feel like a million bucks for the night.
Here are some tips to guide your rental process.
1. Plug in the dates of your event and your usual size.
2. Use the filter to narrow down your search. I always choose the sizes, dates, event and body type. I do not fill in the rest because I like to leave my options open.
3. I “like” any dresses that catch my eye and add them to my favorites.
4. Once I have done an extensive search and narrowed it down to my final favorites, I go back to read all the reviews. The reviews include pictures of all different women that have rented that particular dress. Women of all different body types and sizes, so I always try to find the women who have similar body types (height, weight, bust, usual size) to me and pay close attention to their reviews. That usually seals the deal for me.
5. RTR also offers accessories such as jewelry, bags, sunglasses and shape wear to name a few!
It’s a ton of fun to receive that big RTR box with a special dress for a fun night. The only hard part is sending it back! Would you rent a dress? Share your experiences below.